The Greenock Town Trail centres around 21 pavement plaques across the central area of Greenock and highlights Greenock’s past as a centre of busy shipbuilding, sugar and tobacco industries. Click HERE for further details
Find out about fascinating places by bike, bus, train, car or on foot!
The Historic Quarter publication is new for our area and outlines a great walk around the centre of Greenock.
The Inverkip Street cemetery is the burial place of author John Galt (2 May 1779 – 11 April 1839) the Scottish novelist, entrepreneur, and political and social commentator, as well as the family of Sir Gabriel Wood and many other families who made Greenock a prosperous place.
The cemetery was opened 1787 and because of the increase in population in the town, an extension in Duncan Street was opened in 1816. The Duncan Street cemetery had a separate entrance until Duncan Street itself was levelled and the entrance closed. It is now entered through the Inverkip Street cemetery gates.
In the cholera epidemic of 1832 – 33 as many as 1097 funerals from cholera took place. It presented more the appearance of a battlefield than a well ordered cemetery in the heart of a densely peopled locality. Many years elapsed before the cholera pit subsided. It was mainly because of this that new land nearby in South Street was purchased for a new cemetery.
The Inverkip Street cemetery
Greenock Cemetery was opened in 1846 across 120 acres laid out on hill. The gates were designed by Charles Wilson. The population had been rising as many people were arriving in Greenock and finding employment and the cemeteries in Inverkip Street and Duncan Street were reaching capacity.
The land was acquired from the Shaw Stewart family and Stewart Murray, curator at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Glasgow, was commissioned to lay out new cemetery. The cemetery includes memorials to James Watt and his family and to Henry Robert (Birdie) Bowers who died in 1912 as one of Scott’s ill-
It includes the graves of Highland Mary, the sweetheart of Robert Burns, and the Scott family with their 300 years of local shipbuilding. Commonwealth war graves are dotted throughout cemetery for servicemen, mainly sailors, dying on their way to Greenock. There are also memorials to those killed in two nights of bombing in May 1941 during World War 2 and those killed in action in World War One.
The Greenock cemetery
A view of Inverclyde from the webcam installed in The Victoria Tower, Greenock
See what's happening on the Clyde looking east towards Glasgow from the centre of Inverclyde or just check out the local weather if you're planning a trip to Greenock.
Click on the Image to view: Goes to external site
The Municipal Buildings once incorporated the court house entered by Drummer’s Close, the police station with holding cell and the fire station. The carvings on the building illustrate some of these functions.
The court house was used as a district court until 2011. Formerly Drummer’s Close was used when those found guilty of a crime were met by a drummer and ‘drummed’ out of town.
The Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Preservation Museum has recently been restored to its former glory and is well worth a visit. The museum is on the site of the original Greenock fire station and its exhibits include several older fire engines and equipment. It is run by retired volunteer firemen and the building also used to house to officers’ quarters.
The Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Preservation Museum
Address: The Fire Station, Municipal Buildings, Dalrymple Street, Greenock, PA15 1LY
Hours: Vary throughout the season. Please check Social Media for details.